I am amazed with how much the task for week 3 has motivated me to overcome my irrational fear of social networking! I talked to Katie a lot about how Facebook works, as well as exploring for myself, and it turns out that there are a lot of safety features. It seems to be one of the best options on the web for creating a profile and staying in touch with friends. I have reached out to a few friends of mine in another state, and I feel that this could be one of the best decisions I have made in terms of staying in touch.
I would rate the Facebook site as medium-level difficulty to navigate, as I found it difficult (and still do) to figure out how to keep updated with my friends news (is this just the news feed?) and send private messages. There is just such an information overload when you log in, and I am still struggling to navigate and find all of the features that I have seen on other people's pages.
Privacy settings were straightforward: friends can see my profile, and everyone can search me to 'link me as a friend' and 'link to send a message to me'. What I want to learn to use is the features that were mentioned in this Facebook features article:
- how to fully utilise the wall
- find out if I need to visit each one of my friend's pages in order to see what's new with them, or will this show up on my page?
-mainly notes, status, networks and groups
- making comments?
I'm a bit uncertain...as you may have guessed. But it feels good to be getting out of my comfort zone, and possibly in the 'loop' again with people I've lost touch with.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Hey Loretta,
ReplyDeleteYou have made a very interesting point about face book but I still do not understand the addictiveness of it. All of my friends at work are on it and they are absolutely obsessed. I can see it from the point of view that if you have friends overseas or interstate then you are able to stay in contact with them then that is a good thing. But because I work a lot most of my friends I see everyday. So I don't particularly want to have to talk to them on the net as well. It is a whole other world this Face Book and I have discovered it is going to make a lot of us I guess lazy with spelling and grammar as there are all of those shorten words that everyone users. Which I suppose happens on TXT as well.
With the podcast I happen to like this idea because you can listen to different types of Radio stations that you may never have thought of listening to. For example I found one that you might actually be interested in which was the ABC Radio National (Literature). It was really interesting. The only thing is that because I am on dial up it had to keep rebuffing so it stop started a lot which made it very difficult to listen to.
Oh by the way how did you get your Subscribe to my blog list its awesome I have no idea where to look to get that to work on mine.
cheers
candy
Hey Loretta,
ReplyDeleteIf you want to communicate in a more private way, click on "Inbox". Write your message, just like an email. When you want to put the person's name in to send to them, just start to write their name in the "to" section. They will pop up from the list (it goes by alphabet).
Thanks for your feedback Katie and Candy.
ReplyDelete- Katie: I did find the inbox section, and it is more private. I think that will become one of my favourite ways to send personal messages on FB.
- Candy: I will try to look for the podcast you mentioned, and believe me - I feel your pain when it comes to a slow dial up connection in a world of broadband! As for the subscribe to my blog that my side bar now displays, the steps are as follows:
1) Go to ‘Customize’ on your top toolbar
2) click on the option to 'add a gadget'
3) scroll down through the different gadgets until you find the one called ‘subscription links’, and click the +
It will give you options which you select from, and there you have it… your own icons. If I can do it, anyone can!