I just signed up for delicious, and investigated it's applications (including whether it has the ability to export references to endnote). I discovered that only connotea seems to have to option to export to your endnote library, so I signed up for this as well. It seems that both have a different perspective/use when it comes to bookmarking your favourite sites. Although you can share bookmarks on connotea, the network and inbox functions on delicious seem to allow a more informal sharing of bookmarks. I will keep both and explore them further.
On another note, our group discussion in the break after out tutorial was quite helpful in clarifying my ideas about social bookmarking technologies. From what my blog buddies were saying, they thought that delicious was slightly more personal than professional in its application. However, we did raise the point that delicious could be used as a library bookmarking page with tags acting as informal subject headings. As with the other Web 2.0 technologies we have explored, the utility of each one will depend on the intention/purpose with which you set out to use it.
As for the differences between social bookmarking technologies and endnote software, both keep track of references/websites for you, but delicious (especially) is not a citation tracker. You still need to reference them yourself. However, connotea does enable you to export bookmarks to endnote. I will investigate how this works when I begin to add assignment references tio my bookmarks.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment