Monday, March 30, 2009

my discoveries on Flickr

Searching the site
I searched Flickr for ‘roses’ first, and found there were a lot of cakes featured in the results. I refined my search to ‘rose’ and this seemed to be more relevant, with only a few cupcakes! I chose to search for pictures of roses because they are a bit of an obsession of mine. I have drawn, coloured and painted roses of all types and but I prefer to do this by looking at images rather than the roses in my garden (mine are kind of small and shrivelled because of water-restrictions). This has given me an entirely new source of visual data, which will be great when I finally get time to get back into my art. I also enjoyed the different photographic styles that were used (e.g. some black and white roses, and another in a sepia hue).

Below is a link to my search, if you want to take a look at what I found.
http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=rose+&m=text

Creating my account & adding a contact
I have created an account on Flickr, and the process required me to sign-up for a Yahoo email account as my ID. I was surprised, as many of the sites we have signed up for (e.g. blogger, reader and YouTube allow people to sign in using Google accounts). It just made realise how dominant Google is on the World Wide Web. I have uploaded a few photos that I took with a digital camera. Here is the link to my site – aren’t my cats cute!

I added Candy as a contact by following the link from her blog entry 'learning new gadgets'. I also sent her a Flickrmail message asking her to please help me add my photos as a slideshow to my blog like she did. Candy, if you're reading this, maybe put your tips into a comment on this post? I tried using the 'add a gadget' function but it kept malfunctioning and didn't seem to have a place to put the link. Below I have also tried to use the embedded link to my Flickr photostream (fingers crossed!). I have changed all the photo privacy settings to public but it hasn't helped.


No comments:

Post a Comment