Friday, March 20, 2009

Facebook revisited

I have now been on Facebook for about a week, and I can see how people spend so much time online. There is so much to do and update, but I have overcome my feeling of 'information overload' now that I am used to the display. I have learned how to add a link to a YouTube video, upload photos and create albums, as well as using tagging to label people in my photos. I think that Facebook is a good resource for social networking of a personal nature, but I took a quick look at LinkedIn and it seems to be more effective at professional networking. Facebook is far more informal and has more details about people's personal lives, interests and hobbies (e.g. becoming a fan of celebrities, sharing holiday photos, etc); whereas, LinkedIn is focused on professional identity and making new contacts.

1 comment:

  1. I haven't checked out LinkedIn yet, but from what you and Katie have said it looks like it would be more suitable for our professional work which is good because the ideas and concepts behind social networking are sound. I must investiate it too! Well done for all the things you've worked out how to do on facebook. Sounds like you've really got the most out of this technology.

    ReplyDelete