Sunday, April 12, 2009

An unfinished journey…initial reflections

I have been thinking about how I could encapsulate all that I have learnt about web 2.0 technologies into one final blog entry. However, I do not believe that this is the intention of the final blog reflective task. For me, this has been a personal journey of discovery that will not end with a mark being given to me for my blog at the end of this assignment. I will continue to learn and grow in my skills-base as an information professional long after this course is over.

I feel that doing this task through the medium of a blog established a platform upon which to build a familiarity with contemporary web 2.0 technologies and applications. For example, through personalising and managing my blog I learnt how to:

-manage privacy settings, time settings, choose basic layouts, and become a follower of my buddies’ blogs

-add gadgets to give my readers access to other information that would enhance their experience when reading my blog (e.g. RSS feeds from library blogs through the ‘blog list’, subscription to YouTube Lee Lefever’s channel, etc)

-use Google Reader (as Blogger is part of the Google network of applications) and share items on my blog, subscribe to my buddies’ blogs and receive updates from other library/technology blogs and websites.

I found the social interactivity of this group assignment to be invaluable to my learning process. I would not have made half of the progress in my individual learning if my buddies had not been there to explain, give technical advice or simply to understand my frustrations. I still feel like a novice when it comes to this technology, and most of the applications we have been exposed to will require a lot more time to learn and actually apply to a library setting.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Loretta, I also feel that I've learnt a huge amount in this process but that we've only scratched the surface. I think that's okay though. Each of the applications that we've been exposed to could be explored in more detail but now that we've gained some confidence, hopefully in the coming months we'll feel more comfortable to keep exploring their potential and think more about how we could use them in the profession. I'm really impressed with how much you've done and how much you've explored the possibilities, even within the blog itself. It looks awesome :) and shows you're commitment to learning and exploration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Candy. I am amazed and proud whenever I view your and the rest of the group's blogs. We have all developed our knowledge and confidence so much. I would tend to agree that brief exposure to the different technologies has been an effective learning strategy for beginners (like ourselves).

    ReplyDelete