Friday, April 3, 2009

Going further with Google Maps

I went to this Google Maps help site because I wanted to know how to add pictures into my placemarker description. I then typed in the following instruction in HTML language, I was so proud of myself! I actually applied what we learnt in this week’s tutorial, and it worked. (PS: I included the actual command here, but clicking 'publish post' meant that it turned into the actual picture - even though I wrote the command in 'compose' view).



I added pictures of the destinations onto Zagreb, Paris, Niagra Falls (Canada) and Las Vegas. I also experimented with the order of height and width in the HTML language, and discovered that it does not work if you put height before width. Strange, order really is important. I liked the freedom of being able to decide with a few key strokes how big the pictures would appear.

I also found out how to embed a YouTube video into a placemark description. You are meant to paste the 'embed' link into the Edit HTML part of the description box. However, I did this in the Miami description box and it the video kept disappearing when I would try to go out and view the map again (even though I saved it and everything). I have added the URL into the rich text on my map, so you can paste it into your browser and view The Golden Girls clip. If anyone finds out how to embed a video and make it stay there, please let me know.

My Dream holiday desti­natio­ns! map is embedded below. Fingers crossed it will stay there!



View Larger Map

The link to the URL of my map is this http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=100839570829396594239.0004668831d927f190d1e&z=2, in case you can't quite click on everything in the embedded map.

No comments:

Post a Comment